Friday, October 5, 2012

Conference weekend!

"Awakening the desire to know enables our spiritual capacities to hear the voice of heaven."
- Elder Paul E. Koelliker

"We are not diminished when someone else is added upon. We are not in a race against each other to see who is the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed. The race we are really in is the race against sin, and surely envy is one of the most universal of those."
-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

"We need the gospel and the Church. In fact, the purpose of the Church is to help us live the gospel."
-Elder Donald L. Hallstrom

"Jesus told the leader of the synagogue, “Be not afraid, only believe.” Discipleship is believing Him in seasons of peace and believing Him in seasons of difficulty, when our pain and fear are calmed only by the conviction that He loves us and keeps His promises."
-Elder Neil L. Andersen

 These are some wonderful quotes from General Conference 6 months ago!
I've always loved General Conference- well at least since I was 12 or 13 probably.
It's such a miraculous time- hearing from modern day prophets in abudance in two full (spiritual full- that's for sure) days.
In Singapore, Conference came on tapes weeks later b/c the S'pore government surveys everything in and out of S'pore before the public. I think it's great that the government officials got to watch and hear those holy words of modern day prophets, when they normally wouldn't.
I first told Chase I love him on Temple Square grounds the Conference before his mission.
Then a year later- I was on Temple Square with a missionary tag! Conference as a Temple Square missionary!! What an amazing blessing to serve there during those weekends. I went to the ER the night/morning of my first Conference. And yet, worked harder than I ever had that weekend. I had so many prayers answered that Conference. I was so fragile, unsure about the future, and needing His voice more than ever. It really is best to serve others around you when you have a lot of problems on your own plate. We truly saw the windows of heaven open!

I'm excited for this weekend. We're going with Thornley to the Saturday morning sesh at the Conference Center. Hanging out with Laur while the boys go to priesthood. and some Anderson-family-listening time on Sunday. It's going to be a nourishing weekend. I've already been doing better at my personal study, couples study, prayers, and temple attendance this week and it has improved my spirit a lot! Conference is going to keep me going on that right path :)

No comments: