Monday, September 23, 2013

Capri's Birth Story

I am so in love with our daughter. She is the most incredible blessing and I feel like I know her spirit and soul and have forever!! Chase and I are overwhelmed every day with the privilege to be her parents. Let me tell you about the best day of my life! I can officially say it was the happiest day of my life! Such joy!

So at 4 o'clock, Chase and I met up with Taryn and Taylor at Chick-fil-a for my last supper! It was delicious and gave me the nutrients I needed! Haha! I actually wasn't hungry throughout my labor- just thirstier than a dried up cactus!
Anyways- we pulled into the hospital for my induction at 5 o'clock. It was surreal knowing that this was it. When we were walking up to the counter, I saw a woman being wheeled out with her baby being pushed behind her in the glass case- I envied her! Her labor was over!
They hooked me up to the machines and did paperwork for the first 1.5 hours. The nurse told me I was having contractions already every 5 minutes. Apparently I had been in labor every five minutes for a week. Those cramps were contractions. Well by 6:00, they had increased to every 3 minutes and painful. Ope.... looks like I woulda been pulling into the hospital that night to give birth with or without my scheduled induction (thank you, full moon). They decided to still give me the pittosin to speed it along. Once that hit- all hell broke loose. The contractions became a minute apart and I was in P-A-I-N! I had no idea how to breathe.
 
After three contractions, I figured it out.
Let me give you my explanation of a contraction: someone is a knocking the wind out of you with a soccer ball over and over again for 1.5 minutes. And they tell you- just breathe! breathe! easier said than done! I got through them by Chase holding me up and me leaning into this chest as we sorta danced/swayed and he hummed for me to breathe in, breathe out. They asked me by 7 (just half an hour into my pittosin) if I wanted my epidural. I could have it already? I called my sister to get her nurse advice and make sure I wasn't heading into c-section city. She reassured me that I should get it and with the pittossin, progress should continue with or without the epidural. So I cried tears of joy (this time) and asked them for my epidural. I only had bad contractions for an hour- how do/did women do natural labor for 18 hour labors? Respect!
The epidural doctor came in and I laid on my side in the fetal position and he prepared me for the pain of an epidural..... ope...... getting the iv was worse than the epidural. the epidural felt like a normal shot. the numbing bee sting came and after that- i felt nothing but relief! those scary stories of the pain of an epidural- not the case for me! what a blessing! it took about an hour to really kick in, and once they put the catheter in me (and emptied my bladder)- i literally felt no contractions. i was an ideal patient they say bc i could lift my legs and feel all i needed to without any of the pain! then i progressed from a 2 to a 7 within 1.5 hours and they thought I might be a crazy first time mom who delivered in 5 hours!
They broke my water at 9 pm and the nurse announced "WOAH! this baby has a lot of hair!" and I teared up then from joy and the surrealness of the situation!
My mom's flight was delayed but she came in and got to the hospital around 11:30. Julie got there around 10. It was a full house! I didn't get much sleep (that prolly wasn't the smartest) but I was a chatter box and just excited to see my mom, mom-in-law, talk about texas, and over analyze everything about little Capri! I slept off and on 2 hours throughout the 13 hour delivery.
Anywho- I sat at a 7 dilation for 4 hours. Then I was at an 8. Then I went from an 8 to a 10 within 10 minutes (bc the nurse checked me, left to get something, came back and I was at a 10.) Then I sat at a 10 for 3.5 hours as they let me "rest and descend." The baby was low but not low enough- instead of pushing for 3 hours, we should just let my contractions (that i wasn't feeling at this point!) naturally push her down. Those 9 hours of waiting were quite heaven. I was literally praying in my heart every 5 seconds with gratitude for the amazing epidural!

By 5:15 am, I was ready to push (she still wasn't as low as some babies can be, but they wanted me to start pushing!) I was excited! The pressure was strong, but no pain. They told me to not push the epidural button anymore so the pain of labor could motivate me to push harder and be done faster. It was killer! I'm sure I was still feeling only 10% of the pain or less compared to natural labor, but still. The contractions were coming, the bones were grinding, and pushing for 30 seconds every contraction (10 second increments) caused me to feel like I was going to pass out. The nurses thought it was interesting that with her head down there and the contractions and all that- I still was almost napping in between contractions (mainly bc I was so light headed that i was more passing out.) I tried to focus but the lack of air was causing me to feel loopy! I tried my hardest to focus though and push really really hard! The first hour of pushing was pretty useless and I told them to take the mirror away- it was just depressing me that I was still just seeing a quarter size of her hair and not much more with every push and contraction. I preferred silence, but everyone else was pretty stoked and talking a lot. Time was passing so slow to me and I was on the verge of giving up with every other contraction! I wanted to cry so bad and say "I give up!" but I didn't actually verbalize it bc deep down I wanted to have this baby vaginally! My mother was holding one leg, Chase the other, and my mother in law with the camera. Thank goodness for their unconditional support and love. Time didn't pass as slow for them, but they were so attentive and helping me any way they could- considering! This was my mom's first birth and I was so happy she could fly in and be there.
Anywho, I was so happy to see the doctor after an hour of frustrating pushing and she really helped things progress. I'll leave the details out of how exactly she did that. After 20 minutes of pushing and adjusting, she realized that the baby was posterior and with two contractions she turned the baby's head. That was the most painful part of the whole delivery- her turning the baby's head. But once she did that- it was 3-4 contractions and the baby was able to make it out! Capri came out with one push from head to toe and then the doctor just pulled the placenta! I didn't realize this was THE push bc they told me they'd tell me when she was crowning- it all went to quickly that little did i know- I was pushing and they're shouting "there's the head!" and the pain was intense and it was funny to feel her little shoulders, hips, and legs clatter with my hip bones as they pulled her out! Then the most amazing moment of my life happened- I DID IT! THE PAIN WAS OVER! SHE WAS HERE!!! and I could truly feel and say "it was all worth it!"
(I have this really cool picture of her body half way out, but that's just for me and Chase to stare out in awe and miraculous wonder! that was the most amazing moment of our lives!) 
 
Capri pooped when the doctor turned her head so there were 8 NICU nurses in their ready to check her out. The room was all hustle and bustle of lots of people! So the doctor quickly cut the chord and Capri was whisked away. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my life!! The love and spirit of that little girl was abundant!! My mom was crying, I was crying, Chase was crying, and 
I need to ask Julie if she was crying (but knowing my mother-in-law I'm sure she was!!! p.s. she (and dave) had a flight to new zealand to catch right away that day!! so i haven't had the chance to really get her viewpoint and thoughts on the birth)!
and apparently my father-in-law dave was outside the door hearing me screaming/grunting during the last half hour! he had limited time with his new little granddaughter, too! the family support little capri has is so lovely.
Right after she was born, Chase was next to me, worrying, and asking me over and over again if I was okay- what could he do?- I yelled- "Get over to the baby! I'm fine! Go be with her- I would if i could! Go be with her for us!" (he was so happy to hear me say that! he was such a good husband the whole labor! i couldn't have asked for more support, love, and attention! and he was worried about me but was so happy to have the green light to go be with the baby!)
Capri didn't swallow any of the meconium and is/was perfectly healthy! It took a few minutes to get her checked out and all that- so the doc stitched me up (ope, felt every one of those stage 2 tearing stitches) and recovery has been quite the experience. but anyways, i was so anxious to have skin to skin and hold my baby!!!
 
they let me hold her like this until i was done getting stitched. mid stitches in this pic! and sweating like an attractive wild boar!
 
that moment they let me have water! that was another slice of heaven! 
 
 really getting to hold her, study her, and give her kisses!!! that moment of holding her- that was a moment i will never forget! She is our whole life now and I am so grateful that i could give birth vaginally and we both are so healthy and recovering amazingly from the traumatic experience of all experiences!! I love her so much and so does her happy happy daddy!!
 

And this last picture is two hours later. After her first bath and all cleaned up like the perfect baby she is!!! And so a picture of Capri at one day old and a picture of me at one day old!! She is definitely my daughter with the perfect splash of Chase! I can't wait to see how her looks change and how her beauty will grow!
More pictures to come on another post explaining the next couple days of heaven! 

Welcome to the world, Baby Capri Michele Anderson! Born Friday 9/20/13 6:49 AM. 8 lbs 12 oz. 20 inches!

4 comments:

Karin said...

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!

Cam said...

She is beautiful Marissa! I'm so happy everything went well. They say the first baby is usually the most traumatic as far as birthing goes, so it's all a breeze from here (ha!)! Congratulations!! I'm so happy for y'all!

Fairwell Family said...

Great job you two! Congratulations! We are so happy for you :) Let the adventures begin! haha you will be fantastic parents!

Shelby Alisa said...

This is beautiful and it made me cry a little! She is perfect and def a mini-Marissa!