Tuesday, August 12, 2014

humility

A couple weeks ago, my missionary brother Grant, gave us a challenge to choose a Christlike quality and work on it for the week. I chose humility. well the week is over but I still feel I need to focus on this particular quality. I have been humbled many times in my life, but this time I want to seek for humility without circumstances forcing me to humble myself. I have come back to this flaw/yearning many times in my life. Humility is something I will always try harder and harder to incorporate in my life.


During my scripture study today, I found some great scriptures, quotes, and words that spoke to me!
In the missionary handbook, Preach My Gospel, under humility it discusses keeping the commandments and the opposite of humility being pride. I thought it was interesting that it first talked about keeping the commandments. I know as I strive to keep the commandments, humility will come more naturally.

I need to be more humble in my worldly priorities and materials.
I need to be more humble in my time and giving to others.
I need to be more humble in my marriage.
I need to be more humble in my friendships.
I need to be more humble in my judgments.

Some great lines from PMG:
Pride means to put the things of the world above the things of God.
Pride is competitive.
Those who are prideful presume they are better than other people.
Pride usually results in feelings of anger and hatred.
It is a great stumbling block.

Proverbs 13:10  Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

I am grateful for having the strength of being self-aware and striving for improvement. I am grateful for Grant and his missionary advice, letters, and example. I am grateful I have visiting teaching appointments this week. I am grateful I could help and serve sisters in our ward move, pack, and clean yesterday. I am grateful for the opportunity to submerge my heart into the scriptures.

Oh Capri just woke up from her naps (which she has been failing at lately. luckily still sleeping at night like a solid champ). She's been quite the grumps lately with her refusal to nap- but that means more cuddles. I will be more humble as I recognize the blessing and opportunity of being a tired mom!

Ok more later!

1 comment:

Rick S said...

you're wise and lovely, I learned from your post today (I often do); thanks for sharing. love,dad