i finished a book last night and i called chase into the bedroom when i turned the last page just to vent out on how LUDICROUS it was. i won't give away direct spoilers but from this posts.... you will get the gist of it- so avert you're eyes if you want to read it and want a total surprise. or you can still read this and see if you agree with me or not.
and here is the trailer for this book: The Best of Me
Disclaimer: i read the whole book in two days (along with normal household and job responsibilities) so it wasn't a slow read or a total bore...... BUT those last 100 pages were terrible. Before that it was pretty Nicholas Spark-ish..... but those last 100 pages were TOO much..... why?
Let me give you 5 reasons
1. George Tucker said it best on the last episode of Hart of Dixie
George realized he didn't love Lemon and that he was really just in love with the nostalgia from a simpler time.
His exact words:
But being back here with you made me realize I'm not in love with you.
I am in love with our past.
A simpler time.
When we still had our whole lives ahead of us.
We were there for each other for over half our lives.
And after we broke up, Lemon, I-I went on a miserable journey of self-discovery.
And I think the reason that I keep on getting drawn back to you is because life made sense to me when we were together.
But I'm tired of looking back.
Now, I got to look forward.
I got to push myself, get out of my comfort zone, you know? Think about the future and And leave our love story in the past.
THANK YOU GEORGE! You see.... the hormones of high school and the simplicity of youth are a dangerous thing to confuse with an old flame that is still burning. Hormones are not real emotions (or else my last year of pregnancy, miscarriage, and hormone pills would be a sad reality). Be an adult! Choose your love, love your choice. Your high school "love" cannot be compared to a marriage and the real world and real obstacles.....so if you watched the trailer, you see that these people never moved on. problem number one. oh also.....another disclaimer: i support those that married their hs loves (hey kina!) but i bet they're dating hs days look a lot different than their married with kids days! their love life is in order and they took the appropriate steps! so anywho..... these characters in the book are a hott mess.
2. It gets worse.... apparently I am supposed to be proud of the (married) protagonist bc yes she kissed her ex-bf, yes they got completely undressed, and yes they were in bed..... but they never ACTUALLY did the deed...... no i do not respect that. you made a promise to your husband and made a life with your husband.. you crossed the line twenty chapters ago. be honest with your husband and end things before you start something else.....
3. OF COURSE they had to make her husband seem like an unfit husband.... i'm tired of that in popular culture! husbands are being portrayed as drunks, insensitive, stupid, lazy, or aloof...... no excuses to being "forced" to cheat, chica!!! handle your problems like an adult and confront your problems before you create another with someone that is not your husband.
4. (this is a pretty big spoiler... so avoid) why do people always have to die, Nicholas? WHY!? Death does not solve dilemmas! and it was just too much how a heart transplant tied everyone together.
5. the male protagonist sat around his whole life and pined for his hs love..... i know these books are written for women so that's why the men are always so "loyal, accommodating, and obsessed" but can you imagine if that was real life? think of an ex-bf...... imagine if he was doing that.... he needs professional help!
in fact, i'm thinking of a friend i know (who is in her late 40's- just like the characters in this book) and she DOES have an ex like that and we laugh about it..... we don't think it's romantic.
Ok..... that was too much venting.... but welcome to a lil insight of my conversation with Chase last night and how we were laughing our heads off and furious at the same time! I gave it a ONE star on good read.... and 90% of the other reviewers were just as dissapointed as me.
But of course I still need to see the movie.... see if they fixed it at all!!!