Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Prepping for Easter

I have been loving the real reason of this Easter season. With Conference, fast and testimony meeting, and other gospel discussions- it's been heaven. I wanted to share and write some of them on this blog :)
I have been contemplating a lot lately on what's the real purpose of life. I know we were all born, need to get a body, and return to our Heavenly Father. I know families are the center unit for our life and our priority. I know Christ is our advocate and Savior. I have been raised by good parents, always had a testimony that has grown like crazy over these last 27 years, served a mission, married in the temple, etc. etc. However, since Garrett's death, I have just wondered why do I even need to worry about daily life: dirty dishes, stress of my calling, helping a friend, how much we need to save, are my children learning motor skills, etc- One of the only men in my life that has been with my since birth was gone in an instant! I, too, am just going to die before I expect it anyways. I guess there has been some depression when I read what I just typed. I have been doing the daily tasks, going to the temple, and keeping the faith- and it has helped. But I've been thinking about this question over and over still. I've been contemplating for months. I haven't really worried about it too much bc time and the atonement has been helping little by little. Well last week, I had a spare moment with both kids napping and the office was vacant. I went upstairs, put on conference talks, and started cleaning my house. I was loving this sweet break and then I heard:
"There is so much more to our existence than just what happens between birth and death. I invite you to come and follow Christ.31
I invite all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to, each day, “come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness, … [that] through the shedding of the blood of Christ, … ye [may] become holy, without spot.”When I heard it, it was like someone was personally talking to my heart and calmed it. I heard the personalized answer I need that isn't even necessarily in the actual texts. It was powerful! I am so grateful for our Savior and His messages. I felt impressed to share my testimony in church and the message I spoke was solidified in my heart after I said it out loud to others. Sharing your testimony with others really does strengthen it! Then that night we helped my father-in-law with his chicken coop. We all shared more of our testimony. And come to find out, Dave and Nathan also bore their testimony at their wards. What a great strength we have within the family, too.
Chase then came home and shared a story from the home teaching lesson this month- I loved it and it has answered a question one of my friends asked me just the other week. SO GOOD!
The Rabbi and the Soap Maker
There is an old Jewish tale about a soap maker who did not believe in God. One day as he was walking with a rabbi, he said, “There is something I cannot understand. We have had religion for thousands of years. But everywhere you look there is evil, corruption, dishonesty, injustice, pain, hunger, and violence. It appears that religion has not improved the world at all. So I ask you, what good is it?”
The rabbi did not answer for a time but continued walking with the soap maker. Eventually they approached a playground where children, covered in dust, were playing in the dirt.
“There is something I don’t understand,” the rabbi said. “Look at those children. We have had soap for thousands of years, and yet those children are filthy. What good is soap?”
The soap maker replied, “But rabbi, it isn’t fair to blame soap for these dirty children. Soap has to be used before it can accomplish its purpose.”
The rabbi smiled and said, “Exactly.”
Also another story I want written down to share: A couple days ago, Capri and I were learning the new primary songs we heard on Sunday while we baked cookies. (A truly picture perfect Mormon stay-at-home mom moment. haha those are far and few between but still cherished).
We were listening to some lyrics about Heavenly Father loving everyone. She then asked, "Heavenly Father doesn't love mean people though right?" and I went to explain to her that "He does. And we can't do anything that would make Heavenly Father not love us anymore. He loves us whether we are happy, sad, in time out, helping others, or feeling mad." And she said, "well okay, but he doesn't love the mean people that killed Jesus with the nails." And it's just so interesting to see a young mind work and make sense of simple principles. And I'm grateful that I can be the one to help guide and teach her truth!

And then last night, I was talking to a friend and I felt the Spirit so strongly. We were discussing how the natural man can be so difficult to overcome. My friend was scaring me with some talk about giving up. The Spirit told me to use the analogy of marriage: "When Chase and I fight or have a small setback, I don't ever throw out the word divorce, threaten him with what life would be like without him as my husband, and verbalize such disastrous thoughts. Saying things out loud gives Satan power over our thoughts. We should never threaten the end bc of a hard time. Marriage is forever and our discipleship of Christ is forever. It's important to not get frustrated bc of trials." My friend thanked me, but I told them that was the total Holy Spirit throwing that out there. And when I got in the car, the truth hit me and helped me learn about commitment and devotion even more.

And lastly, I have LOVED these three videos this week. The second video is one of the new primary songs (and hearing Capri sing it every day is just the best) that came out this year. It's amazing! Happy Easter!


2.

In Primary, Capri leaned over to me after "and when the ruler's daughter died he raised her from the dead." and she said, "Jesus raised Garrett from the dead, too."
Be still my heart!




1 comment:

Kristy Grimm said...

Capri--always the cutest! Life is very hard at times, but I'm glad you have these moments and experiences! Recently we read this talk for a RS activity, Believing Christ. I really really loved it. https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/stephen-e-robinson_believing-christ-practical-approach-atonement/ basically about actually believing the atonement and not just in the atonement. Happy Easter!!!!