Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Garrett's Last Hike

Woke up early Saturday morning to pack up, get balloons, and hike to Garrett's last hike. 
I started off with 9 balloons and made it to the lake with 8. Not bad considering all the branches and  hazardous bushes along the way. 
I counted after a couple interactions with people hiking down and all the attention the balloons were giving us. 
16 groups wished me Happy Birthday and 8 groups asked me if the balloons helped lighten my load while hiking. The first couple times I told people they were for a memorial for our brother (but people get depressed real quick) and so then I just started saying, "Thank you" and "Haha yeah that's clever! Like 'Up'!" 






This hike wasn't as bad or long as Timp, but it was 3 hours of straight stair master steepness just to the Lake. and then double that to the peak. We had evening plans, we were pooped, and Julie was watching Capri, Sawyer, and Millie. 
Mom, Chase, Cody, and I just did the first half. The rest of the crew went to the peak! We got off the mountain at around 2:30 pm. They didn't get off the mountain until 6:30 pm. There is no path from the lake to the peak and we now know how scary it really is. I know it may seem morbid, but the main reason I wanted to do the hike was to feel closer to Garrett and visually see the heights and where he fell. 
In the next pic on the left side of the peak is a bunch of loose rock. The detective told my mom and me that the helicopter found him in the middle of those loose rocks toward the West end of the peak. So he fell straight down the  top to the loose rocks and then slid down some. It reassured me that he didn't suffer overnight since Search and Rescue didn't find him for 22 hours from the time he fell till the helicopter got there. 
He was doing what he loved and he did hikes like this multiple times a week. Man, he was in shape! Miss you, bro!







Taylor was cracking us up with the snacks he brought. Apparently he went to the store the night before at midnight. He had the most random treats and a whole smorgasbord.




The releasing of the balloons. This day filled my heart with so much family love that I thought it would burst. What an amazing day. 

Then the rest of the crew left and I tried to catch up to them to tell them we were leaving and not going to wait around. I couldn't find them in time but Cody took this lovely snap of me. HAHA. You know when you look at yourself in the mirror and angle yourself a certain way, and then see candid pics and have to do a double take. Classic.

and some pics of the others with their journey to the peak: 



and of course I teared up when I saw Taylor post this. 
She truly is Garrett's heart. 
We love you and miss you every single day, Garrett. We are so grateful we know where you are, the love we know is surrounding you, and that we will see you again without a doubt! I can't wait for that hug!!!!

and back at the Anderson's while we showered, cleaned up, and waited for the others to join us-this went down. CUTE! 

No comments: